As a JD and experienced software developer, systems administrator, and information technology manager now pursuing a PhD in law and technology, I combine deep technical know-how with effective, people-focused skills. I am as comfortable installing WordPress in a custom-built LAMP environment as I am at researching and writing a brief for an attorney who needs cost-effective legal research and writing assistance. I can communicate with programmers and CEOs, scientists and musicians. I am, in short, the ideal law and technology consultant.consult me now →
Knowledge & Experience
- Linux, Solaris, and Windows servers
- Thin-client deployment and support
- WordPress, Tumblr, Posterous and similar blogging software
- Perl, Python, shell scripting, C, and other programming languages
- Databases, from MySQL (LAMP) to Microsoft Access on Windows
- Westlaw, LexisNexis, Google Scholar, and similar legal research systems
- Research and writing (published work and work for the courts and attorneys)
- Time tracking, incident tracking, and billing systems
- Ten years as a consultant, Web developer, systems analyst, and IT manager for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Teacher and educator at UCSD
- Intern and externships at the Legal Aid Society - Employment Law Center and the California Court of Appeal
- Senior Computer Specialist at the University of Washington
- Undergraduate advisor at the University of Washington
- Intern in I/S Re-engineering at (now-defunct) Washington Mutual bank
- PhD, University of California, San Diego, History of Science & Science Studies, in progress
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, May 2009
- BA, University of Washington, Comparative History of Ideas, cum laude, June 1998
- BA, University of Washington, Comparative Literature and Spanish, cum laude, June 1998
Along with the rest of Nelson Consulting, I am effective asset for you and your business, and we can do so for a reasonable cost that maximizes your return-on-investment.
- Create a website for you or your business.
- Manage and advise on your social media presence.
- Create, deploy, or maintain your applications or servers.
- Write copy for your website.
- Research and write legal materials.
I've been developing for the World Wide Web since 1993, and have extensive experience with everything from Perl and PHP to Linux and Solaris.
A selection of sites I've worked on is available for you to review.
I've written a number of articles while pursuing a JD and PhD. Some of my work is available for you to read, including Transnational Wiretaps and the Fourth Amendment and With a Pox to You! The Slow Defeat of Anti-Vaccinators Before 1950. more →
I hired Kris to design an affordable but highly professional website for my law firm. He took the time to create a wonderful site that I feel great about. I highly recommend his services.
Matthew S. Koken, The Law Office of Matthew S. Koken.
Note: I am not soliciting you in order to provide legal representation. My consulting services do not form an attorney-client relationship. I only offer legal research and writing services under the supervision of another attorney. (Other consulting services are available to anyone).